Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 5 & 6 - Hello Hummus!

Yesterday was a pretty typical day...nothing too exciting to report other than a new mushroom dish I tried.  It was sauteed mushroom, onions and then you make a sauce with a little red wine vinegar, almond milk and wheat flour.  It turned out just ok.  Next time I will try different seasonings.  The red wine vinegar was kinda nasty.  We served it over whole wheat noodles.  Which brings me to another question about the whole wheat belly craze and how much truth there is to it if you are ok with gluten.

We tried to juice a little last night.  I have a crappy Jack Lalane juicer that clogs all the time so we didn't get very far with that.  It basically just made a mess.  So this morning Margaret and I went to target in search of a new juicer.  We found an affordable one and it works great!  We made a mean green mixture with kale, cucumber, green apple and carrots.  It was delicious!  We can't get Paul to try ANYTHING yet.  He likes to rot downstairs on the sofa and watch TV.  BLAAAHHH!

I also got a ninja express that is great for chopping and processing stuff on a small scale.  I made my first batch of hummus and added a little sweet to it.  It contains:

1 can of chickpeas
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp lemon juice
a handful of craisins
2 tsp of agave
a little water
 
 
It tastes awesome!  I spread some in a whole wheat tortilla and topped it with greens and shredded carrot, rolled it up and YUM!
 
Now we are attempting almond butter in the ninja but I think we are burning out the motor!  Might be too big of a job for that little machine.
 
Anyway, we are having a BLAST experimenting!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment