Monday, March 4, 2013

A Much Needed Change

As most of my family and friends know, I was diagnosed with Diastolic Dysfuntion (a form of congestive heart failure) about a year-and-a-half ago.  I was told that I am in relatively mild stage of the disease and the goal is to slow or even halt its progression.  How do I do this?...with medicine and a TON of weight loss!  This is much easier said than done.

A year-and-a-half ago I was doing pretty well with the weight loss.  I lost 50 lbs in about 3 months.  Most of it came off fast because I was such a worried wreck and I hardly ate.  The rest came off with diet and exercise.  But...as the months rolled by, I got careless with my diet and exercise and the pounds are creeping back on again (which is pretty much par for the course for me).

Yesterday, my girls and I watched Forks Over Knives on Netflix.  If you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest you watch it.  This is a documentary about how Americans are so ill from living on the SAD (Standard American Diet).  Dr. Esselstyn worked on a huge study about how eating meat, dairy, eggs, sugar etc. is killing America.  He proposes a plant-based diet which has been proven in his and others studies to prevent, reduce, halt and even reverse CAD (coronary artery disease). 

I don't have CAD (yet, as far as I know) but a plant-based diet with exercise, I believe, will assist in my desire to lose weight and maybe not cure the heart failure, but strengthen other areas of my heart and arteries and halt my disease.

I have also enlisted the help of Carla Huizenga, a board certified health and nutrition counselor.  Her son is in my daughter's 4th grade class and I think she is a local treasure!  Her website is http://www.foodforthought-oshkosh.com/

So tonight we have stocked our house with leafy greens, vegetables, fresh fruit, beans, nuts, whole grains, and almond milk to get us started.  Our whole family needs to lose weight (not just me) and what better way to do this than include everyone in the planning and preparation of healthful meals.

Wish us luck and check my blog occasionally for updates on our successes, struggles and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment